Pentagon denies U.S. is considering pulling troops from South Korea

World

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper holds hands with South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo before their meeting on November 15, 2019 in Seoul, South Korea. Kim Min-hee/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

OSAN AIR BASE, South Korea (Reuters) – The Pentagon on Thursday denied a South Korean news report saying that the United States was considering a significant cut to its troop numbers in South Korea if Seoul does not contribute more to the costs of the deployment.

“There is absolutely no truth to the Chosun Ilbo report that the U.S. Department of Defense is currently considering removing any troops from the Korean Peninsula,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement, referring to Secretary Mark Esper, who earlier on Thursday had said he was unaware of any such planning.

“Secretary Esper was in South Korea this past week where he repeatedly reiterated our ironclad commitment to (South Korea) and its people. News stories such as this expose the dangerous and irresponsible flaws of single anonymous source reporting. We are demanding the Chosun Ilbo immediately retract their story.”

Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Kim Coghill

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Taylor Swift’s Boyfriend Joe Alwyn Gave a Subtle, Sneaky Look Into Their Life Together
8 Best Polo Colognes For Men: Fragrances For Every Season 2022
Musk says Twitter to launch ‘Verified’ service next week with a ‘gold check’ for companies
How FTX ‘death spiral’ spelled doom for BlockFi, according to bankruptcy filing
Gunman pleads guilty to murder and hate-motivated terror charges after supermarket shooting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.